Monday, March 7, 2011

I've Returned Bearing the BEST Ranch Dressing Recipe

'Tis true. It has been awhile since I've last posted. Okay. It's been more than awhile; it's been the greater part of a year. I could blame it on several "things" - and valid ones, at that - which have seemed to consume my life, body and spirit, over the past long while. A part of me wishes I could displace this blame so easily. Another part realizes that every action we make in our life is the result of a choice. The fact that I have not written for so long is a result of the fact that I have chosen not to do so. Granted, a number of variables have contributed to this choice that I have made, but nonetheless, 'tis no one's fault but my own.

Having said all this, I have not wasted this past year in vain. I have been un-cooking, meditating, practicing yoga, teaching French, and engaging in a wide variety of other endeavours. One of my most enjoyable forays has been experimenting with raw-foods, or "un-cooking" as I am prone to calling it.

One of my greatest challenges has been to come up with enticing and delicious dressings and dips. I was a great lover of ranch. An admirer of caesar. A fan of creamy poppyseed, thousand island, and greek feta. Le sigh. It pains me to admit that I couldn't seem to get enough of the commercially made "creamy" dressings. Oil and vinegar? I'd rather just use plain old freshly squeezed lemon juice - which I have, in fact, been using since I became informed of the toxic ingredients in conventional salad dressings and dips. However, I still craved that "creamy" texture found in many of my forbidden dressings and dips.

Oh sure, hummus is fabulous. Substituting vegan-mayo (not raw, but better than Hellmann's!) can be fantastic. Still, my tastbuds were wanting. Then, I started to experiment with the creamy texture of cashew butter. Wow! The results were AMAZING! This is one of the best recipes for a dressing/dip that I have ever tasted! Lest I sound conceited or full of myself, might I add that I chalk this discovery up to the random combination of ingredients of my own personal discovery - perhaps you have already tried these ingredients together.

But on the chance that you haven't, let me share with you a FANTASTIC recipe for a raw Ranch dressing:

1 cup raw cashew butter
1/2 cup water (N.B. - this makes a very thick dip-like concoction; increase water if you'd like a thinner dressing-like concoction)
4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 stalk celery, finely chopped

Add all ingredients in the food processor or high-powered blender (I like the VitaMix) and process until smooth. For a thinner texture, add additional water. For a thinner yet creamy texture, add olive or flax oil to taste.

Enjoy and namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment